"Did you forget me, too, with all the people that I knew?" - Ted Pauly.
Some brief tidbits:
The very uneven Indie Workshop web site reports that the fellow from Christie Front Drive and Antarctica has signed his latest project, the 101 (a nod to the pre-Clash act, I wonder?) to a Philly label and will release a record in February. I tired of Antarctica after a while, but CFD's split with Boys Life is still one of the top 10" records ever released. Incidentally, with the rehabilitation of my Webcor Musicale record player, I revisited Small 23's "Free T-Shirts for Spain" 10" recording Sunday night. That is a hot goddamned record. Certainly the best thing Small 23 did. Anyway, here is the link to the info about The 101 [see the news section, upper right].
Readers will be familiar with my fascination with and disdain for Wal-Mart. There was a recent program on the public television about the retail giant putting the squeeze on U.S. suppliers (in this instance, TV makers) to outsource to China to meet Wal-Mart's demands for cheaper product to make bigger margins. Anyway, here is evidence the retailer role has really become dominant in the supply chain: This article notes how Kraft, the largest food products company in the world, is forced to tighten its operations in order to satisfy the big box stores. The most troubling aspect of this to me is the portion of the story that notes that product diversity is being purposely stifled. But enough of that.
This is a really cool article about someone finding the lost first recording session of the Velvet Underground. Check it out.
Bob Mould buys a new car. This is not interesting, but for some reason it interested me anyway.
Okeydokey, here is the playlist from Tuesday night. Sorry about the breakdown midway through the set -- server logs show I lost a couple listeners there, but picked up others in the 10 o' clock hour. Anyway, thanks for tuning in.
1. Ad council - WESU PSA "Ridiculous."
2. Orlando Cachaito Lopez - Siempre Con Swing (Intro)
3. Brad Mehldau - When It Rains.
4. The Conet Project - Three Note Oddity.
5. Brian Wilson - Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine.
6. The New York Dolls - Personality Crisis.
7. Public Image Ltd. - Public Image.
8. Lilys - Jenny, Andrew and Me.
9. Broken Social Scene - Passport Radio.
10. Desaparecidos - Man, Wife, The Latter.
11. Haywood - Devon Lanes.
12. Dinosaur Jr. - Over Your Shoulder.
13. Flop - Asthenia.
14. Castor - Pontiac.
15. The Smiths - You've Got Everything Now.
16. Built to Spill - You Were Right.
17. Pete Rock and CL Smooth - They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)
18. Pavement - Trigger Cut/Wounded Kite at :17.
19. The Feelies - Away.
20. Jon Brion - I Beleive She Is Lying.
21. The Conet Project - English Lady 00000.
22. Belle and Sebastian - The Stars of Track and Field.
23. Swearing at Motorists - Being In Love.
24. Manta Ray - Prelude (Betty Popperetta).
25. Manta Ray - Betty, Please (Betty Popperetta).
26. Drop Nineteens - Delaware (Live).
27. The Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels).
28. Jane's Addiction - Classic Girl.
29. Adrian Crowley - Trilogy.
30. Efterklang - Monopolist.
31. The Cure - The Walk (Live).
That is all.