May 20, 2004

"She serves him mashed potatoes, and she serves him peppered steak, with corn."- Camper Van Beethoven

Someone somewhere today online was hyping the video for the Dresden Dolls' "Girl Anachronism." And you know what? It is really great. I read it is making the rounds of MTV2. It's great that the kids are blowing up. Amanda may be the most successful Wesleyan rocker of my vintage. Anyway, check out the video.

I was born in Media, PA. I never lived there, but that is where it all went down. It's the county seat, and maybe there weren't quite as many hospitals around 30 years ago as there are now. Anyway, the Inquirer has a nice piece about how the town has successfully maintained an even keel throughout the years. It actually seems like a real neat place to live. The Towne House, mentioned in the article and former employer of my dad when he was a teen, is a favorite restaurant of mine with the kind of bar where you throw the peanut shells on the floor and many days some guy comes in and plays a small organ installed under two inches of dust off in a corner. Here's more about Media.

There's a Joy Division biopic in the works, according to the Guardian, which is great news. The only reason I watched 24 Hour Party People was to see the bits about that band seemed to me well done and compelling. This movie will hopefully top that without making me watch the stuff about the Madchester scene that I didn't really care about… Here's more.

There are a lot of great books out there I need to pick up. Observe:
Morrissey and Marr: The Severed Alliance
Touching from a Distance: Ian Curtis and Joy Division
Perfect Sound Forever: The Story of Pavement
Rock and the Pop Narcotic Testament for the Electric Church

That is all.

No comments: