May 4, 2004

"I can't stand the way I was that day."- Bedhead

Looky, looky, Jay Samit still has a job. As usual, Sony is re-re-reinventing the wheel. Though this will probably fare better than, say, Unsurface.com.

Interesting story about Spitzer strongarming the major labels into distributing held royalties. The very last sentence of this story is the most amusing part tho. Actually, what is really amusing is that Lopez owns the tape.

There's a fair amount of buzz about the new Mission of Burma. Junkmedia. Pitchfork. ILM. I think I heard parts of it on the hi-fi at the Newbury Comics last week. It sounded muy muy rockalicious. Stream some songs here [Thanks to Slatch.com for the link].

NPR ran a feature on MP3 blogs over the weekend, and you can listen to it here. And this ILM thread reconstructs the history of the MP3 blog. Interestingly enough, former Junkmedia scribe Martin Pavlinic is credited with being an early influence. I imagine they are referring to his old site Papercities.org.

Speaking of MP3 blogs, here is a new song. The number in question is The Strip Oracle, the A side to a Superconductor 7 inch that came out in late 1995, as far as I can remember. Superconductor was a Canadian act that featured a six- or seven-guitar attack. This awesome display of power may or may not have been the inspiration for the Wesleyan act Holzvarth (Holzvarth is at the center of one of the best Kam Fong stories ever, but we'll just skip to the punchline: "Not since the nomadic hordes ruled Pangaea..."), which touted luminaries including one John Charles O'Neill, who was a huge fan of this song. I didn't get into this number right away, but once I gave it a shot I became as hooked as the rest of the WESU folks. It is apparently part of a rock opera that is based on the story of Scheherezade. Or at least I think I read that somewhere. Like here. I seem to recall linking to this before. Oh well.

For now, that is all.





No comments: