March 24, 2005

"Touch each other in black and white - go!" - The Futureheads

Fluxblog rightfully sings the praises of Yo La Tengo's "Tom Courtenay," and offers the song as a download. For a long time, this was my favorite YLT jam. That was, until I got thoroughly hooked on "Blue Line Swinger," which is, of course, the best YLT jam. I have glanced at the track list for the new YLT comp that is coming out shortly and I don’t see a compelling reason to buy it. Perhaps I can be convinced (Doctor?). But I have most of the material it covers, and if anything, it makes me want to get a CD copy of "Genius+Love=Yo La Tengo" to replace my cassette dub, and which covers the less electric period of YLT that I don't know too much about. [YLT factoid: The Barnabys, later just Barnabys, long since disbanded, were originally called "Barnaby, Hardly Working," named for the YLT song of the same name.]

SVC has a neat post devoted to King Tubby, and the blog hints more dub posts are in the offing. Nothing sounds better in the early summer than dub music turned up really loud, preferably on the porch, late afternoon, drinks and smokes at the ready. Unfortunately it is only early spring. And, of course, no one smokes anymore. But it is the thought that counts, right? [Clicky Clicky factoid: one of the multitude of nicknames my older brothers had for me when I was a kid was Tubby. Not that I was Tubby. I guess that was the joke?]

Spending the night playing with my new external soundcard.

That is all.

No comments: