May 23, 2006

Rack And Opinion: Release Date 5.23.06

Mission of Burma -- The ObliteratiIt's quality, not quantity, that is the watchword when you peruse the new release racks at Ye Olde Recorde Shoppe this week. In our estimation there are only five records worth putting in your basket. But two of them are crucial, one perhaps even a classic. That one we refer to is Mission Of Burma's cataclysmic rockfest The Obliterati. If you are the kind of person who believes everything you read you might be buying into the various reviews out there, and we know you've read them, that are saying things like "This is Mission Of Burma's best record. Ever." We'll vouch for it being very, very good. Because it is. You should buy it. Another hot record this week is Juana Molina's Son, which we've been anticipating for quite some time. Other notable releases for the week are listed below. We think Pat DiNizio deserves special mention, if only because we have good friends who are huge fans. So buy Pat's record. Do it. You may notice we're downplaying The Walkmen record. That's because our first impression is that it is a grower. Or at least we hope it is. Anyway, all of our picks for the week's best releases are listed below. Links go to relevant commercial opportunities with our former Water Safety instructors over at Insound.

Pat DiNizio -- This Is Pat DiNizio -- Varese
Juana Molina -- Son -- Domino
Mission of Burma -- The Obliterati -- Matador
SSM -- SSM -- Alive!
The Walkmen -- A Hundred Miles Off -- Record Collection

3 comments:

Jay said...

Dood, the new Burma disc is fan-freakin'-tastic. I already heard eight of the 13 songs because of the singles club thing they did, but I had to go get the CD (with bonus DVD of their opening gig for the Pixies a few years ago) anyway. As good as I thought OnOffOn was (and it was very good), this album is even better. Rockity rock rock.

Didn't know DiNizio had a new album out, so I may investigate that. And have only read a lukewarm review of the Walkmen disc from Pitchfork, but that doesn't mean much. Although after those last two kick-ass records, they've got a lot to live up to.

Jay said...

My bad, there's actually 14 tracks on The Obliterati. As you were.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I did the Matador pre-order for the CD/DVD release. Hopefully I'll have better luck getting that than I did the Dino Jr reissues, which have yet to arrive -- I have the retailer sending another set to my office. If that doesn't work, I will start slinging mud on the digital pages of :: cc ::. Anyway, I look forward to the full release, and hope it arrives today.

I think I'll end up liking the Walkmen record, but it has a different flavor than the others, and doesn't seem to rock as hard. Also, I think their guitarist turned the reverb on his amp all the way up and then broke the dial off. It makes a lot of the songs samey.